When you’re sitting around the dinner table feeling grateful for all your loved ones this Thanksgiving, you might be tempted to feed your four-legged baby something from your turkey dinner, but it’s not a good idea. Unfortunately a lot of what we’re gorging ourselves on is actually harmful for our pets. And no one wants to spend Thanksgiving at the emergency vet’s office. So here’s a refresher on what not to feed your pets from the Thanksgiving table, no matter how thankful you are for them.
- Turkey - Since garlic, butter or seasonings can be toxic for your pet, the American Kennel Club and WebMD advise only let them take a nibble of turkey if it’s totally plain, boneless, and well cooked.
- Ham - According to pet insurance carrier Pets Best, pork products can lead to pancreatitis and vomiting in pets.
- Stuffing - This holiday favorite is off the table for pets because wild mushrooms, grapes, raisins, and especially onions can be destructive to your pet’s system. "No matter what form they’re in (dry, raw, cooked, powder, or within other foods), onions are some of the absolute worst foods you could possibly give your pup,” explains Sadie Cornelius, Marketing Director for “Canine Journal.” “They’re poisonous for dogs and even worse for cats.”
- Sweet potatoes - If they’re plain baked sweet potatoes, the ASPCAsays they’re fine for pets. But if you like yours covered in spices and marshmallows, they’ll upset cats’ and dogs’ stomachs.
- Pumpkin pie - No slices of traditional pie for Fluffy or Fido, but “People” reports plain, canned pumpkin is safe for pets and even aids with digestion.
- Salty snack foods -The ASPCA warns that salty treats can lead to “excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning” in cats and dogs.
- Nuts - Don’t feed your pets almonds, pecans, or walnuts because they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even pancreatitis in dogs and cats. And macadamia nuts can lead to “weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors, and hypothermia,” according to the ASPCA. Yikes!
- Chocolate - You’ve heard it’s a no-no for pets, but PetMD warns chocolate can be fatal for dogs and cats both.
Source: Fox News