The new “thing” to do is make your own sunscreen, but it it a good idea?
According to a new study, the answer is no.
Pinterest as several DIY recipes for homemade sun protection, but according to Laura McKenzie, who wrote the study, not one of them offers protection.
- The study examined 189 pins about sunscreen.
- Most of them touted the positive benefits of homemade sunscreen.
- Yet 68-percent of them included recipes that provided poor ultraviolet protection.
- The pins also give SPF factors…. but in fact none provides that. THAT'S ZERO SPF!!!
- And if these recipes are worthless, they are dangerous because everyone needs UVB/UVA protection
The main ingredients in these concoctions: Essential oils, coconut oils, and apple cider vinegar.
Bottom line: trust science when it comes to sun protection… not Pinterest.